Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Adventures in Cooking: Glazed Pork Chops

Happy Sunday, dear readers!

My creation for tonight's dinner: glazed pork chops with a green bean and insta-mash potato side dish


Since today was Sunday, it was my day to cook. I've had the cooking bug now for a couple of weeks, but in spite of the number of cooking videos I've spent the evenings binge-watching, I just did not know what to make. I was leaning strongly towards spaghetti sauce, especially since there are a number of vegetables in the fridge and in cans that need to be eaten, but it was too hot and I felt too lazy to make them. Boiling spaghetti is quite the heat producer too, though I managed to get around that by microwaving the noodles with some water in a bowl.

However, we did buy a pack of pork chops on super sale at the Mexican grocery store earlier this week. It had been a while since we'd eaten pork chops, so I figured I'd make something with these. As much as I love beef, I need a break from the stuff periodically. Since I haven't had the time or energy to clean the grill, there would be no marinate and BBQ for these pork chops. Instead, I decided to try glazing them after I saw a picture that a friend of mine posted to Facebook about her delicious-looking attempt at making glazed pork chops for her family.

While sweet pork chops aren't really my thing, I decided to give them a try because my husband advised me how good brown sugar and pork chops are together. I scoured Pinterest for a few recipes and found some that had some appealing ingredient combos, but none were to my liking overall. I knew I would need brown sugar and molasses for sure, but I didn't know what else I could add. After looking at a few different recipes, I had a basic idea of what was needed, but I would ultimately be pulling the recipe off the top of my head.

For the rub, I mixed up some salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders, and a substantial amount of brown sugar. The end result of the rub was sweet but with a spicy punch. I decided to add the molasses while the chops were being caramelized in my handy cast iron pan. Since there was already kind of a sweet crust on the chops from the sugar, I only drizzled a little molasses onto each side of the chop. My big fear was that I would vulcanize the chops (I'm pretty good about judging how well they've cooked on the BBQ grill, but frying can be a little tougher), but after my husband sampled a bit of my work, he was delighted by how tender they were and how well the flavors melded together. The baby liked them too, since they were tender enough for her 2.5 teeth to chew on.

I was overall pleased with my work too. While I don't remember exactly how much of each ingredient I used to make them, this glazed pork chop is definitely a keeper!

Thank you for reading this post and please don't forget to share, comment, and subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment