Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Friday, October 30, 2015

A Short Review of Beer: Angry Orchard Hard Cider Crisp Apple

Due to lack of funds in the monthly budget (thanks, blown out tire!), I won't be making a trip to the gas station to get my growler refilled. So, for this week's beer review, I'll stick with a selection from a recently purchased mix-n-match six-pack from a local grocery chain. The evenings have finally gotten cool enough for me to crack open one of the four apple beers from that purchase!

It looks just like apple juice! Pic found here


Since it was the easiest bottle to reach in the fridge, I pulled out Angry Orchard Hard Cider Crisp Apple. I'd seen this brand in the grocery stores and I wanted to try it, but it wasn't quite cold enough for fall yet. Now with opportunity just outside the walls, I popped the top off of the bottle and took a sip.

The big thing that stood out the moment the cider hit my palette was how much it tasted like apple cider vinegar. There was no mistaking the taste of apple in the beer, nor its smell when I sniffed the open bottle. It was definitely more sour than I anticipated, having been accustomed to hoppy, grain-based beers. Colorwise, it looks just like carbonated apple juice! At 5% ABV, it might well be apple juice, in my opinion. A little research on the brewery's website revealed that a combination of sour and sweet apples plus wine yeast were used in the creation of this cider, which accounts for the bold taste. Interestingly enough, it began to taste better as the cider warmed up to room temperature! Unlike most brews, this one is better served warm.

My husband took a sip and told me it tasted just like the home-brewed apple jack a former girlfriend used to make in the fall. He thought at first the beer might have gone bad but after tasting it to compare to her fresh jack, he pronounced it ok.

Since this is the first time I've ever consumed apple beer, I find it to be rather strange tasting yet pleasantly refreshing. It's definitely not bitter, which is a huge plus in my book. That being said, I probably wouldn't pair this drink with anything other than pork (pork and apples go well together), or a dessert of some sort. In other words, something sweet would be a good pair with Angry Orchard. I would also be careful drinking this because you don't taste the alcohol very much, so it's especially easy to get shitfaced on hard cider. That being said, Angry Orchard puts out other varieties of cider, and if I should come across them, I'd be happy to sample these other brews from the Ohio-based brewery.

For more on Angry Orchard and the other varieties of cider they brew, check out their website.

As always, please drink responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment