Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Feast of St. Therese of Lisieux

Greetings, friends!

Today is the feast day for one of the most beloved saints in the Catholic Church, St. Therese of Lisieux. Also known as St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, she was born Therese Martin in Alencon, France. She was the youngest of five sisters, all of whom would go on to become nuns, much to the joy of their devout parents Louis and Zelie Martin. Therese entered the Carmelite convent where she would spend the remainder of her short life at the age of 15, and died of Tuberculosis at the age of 24. Her time in the convent would be a profound spiritual journey, where her famous "Little Way" would come to fruition.

Prayer card dedicated to St. Therese. Pic found here


Affectionately known as "The Little Flower", devotees who pray her novena (a series of prayers said over a period of days, usually nine days) report encountering roses in some form as a sign that their request has been submitted/granted. I can personally attest to this encounter, as the first time I'd finished praying her novena in college, I was walking to class one morning and took a route I didn't normally take on the campus to get there. I randomly turned my head as I was walking, and saw rose bushes in bloom, despite it being rather late in the year for them. A fellow church lady had told me about this sign, but I did not believe her. Now, I could see for myself that there was some merit to this claim. St. Therese famously said that she would spend her time in heaven doing good works on Earth, and leave roses as her signature, of sorts. My encounter with the roses at school was her way of saying "I got your back".

For more on St. Therese and her spirituality, check out her hagiography here.

Try praying her novena as well. You too might encounter a rose in one form or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment