Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Short Review of Beer: Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest

Another growler refill, another new brew to review!

One of the original microbreweries in America, based out of Chino, CA. Pic found here


I'd spotted this brew the last time I was at the tap counter, but decided to try the Hefeweizen instead. The gas station I fill my growler at always has some varieties of beer from the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, especially their pale ale, which my husband detests passionately. But the Oktoberfest brew, being a seasonal one, caught my eye and so I had to try it. After last trip's disappointing brew, California beers were in need of some redemption.

According to my husband, Oktoberfest brews tend to be bottom-barrel, where everything settles so they've got extra body. He refers to this sort of beer as "boch" (pron. "bock"). According to the Sierra Nevada website, their Oktoberfest beer is "deep golden in color and rich with complex malt flavor from the use of traditional German Steffi barley."

My take: it was definitely better than hefeweizen! I didn't understand the more formal scientific notations regarding gravity, bitterness, etc that I saw on the website, but my uneducated mind deems it an acceptable beer. It definitely has body and a nice wheat taste. It's not too bitter, which I was pleased to note and has a pretty golden color to top it off. Unlike my husband who likes to pour clamato into his beers, I found this beer palatable enough to not need any adulteration.

As for what foods pair well with Oktoberfest, both the website and myself can concur that pork is the best dish. I especially enjoyed how the flavors of the beer and my ginger-lime marinated pork chops mingled in my mouth at dinner. The bitterness complemented the tangy, slightly sweet flavor left behind by the marinate.

California beer, you're back in my good graces again.

For more information about the Sierra Nevada Brewing Company and their other varieties of beer, check out their website here.

As always, please drink responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment