Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Bodacious Baked Beans

Greetings everyone!

Today, we went to a job fair that was held at a downtown hotel. Since my unemployment funds have run out and I was unsuccessful in finding some means of gainful employment, we now have to scramble and find some other means of acquiring funds. My husband is in overdrive mode, pushing out applications left and right to try and get a stable source of income going for us.

The lobby. This hotel has been around for a long time


As for the job fair itself, I wasn't terribly impressed. For one, the ballroom in which it was held was dreadfully hot and stuffy from the crowd. I was also disappointed because I'd printed off a bunch of my husband's resumes for him to hand out while there, and hardly anyone was taking them. My husband didn't mind the digitization route, since that is his preferred means of conveying information. I, however, was annoyed because I hate wasting paper. We did come away with some promising leads, though, so it wasn't a total waste.

When we finally got home, I decided to take over cooking dinner so that my husband could put out some more job applications. The Thanksgiving feast donated to us by our Latin Mass church's St. Vincent de Paul program included a large can of Bush's baked beans. I'm not especially crazy about baked beans, as I find them to be too sweet. But, being the impoverished individuals that we are, we can't always be choosy about what food we're given. So, we try and improve it as much as we can. My hubby decided to throw in some of our turkey leftovers into the baked beans. I hate to say it, but at this point, I'm sick of turkey and don't want to see another one of those damn birds for the next decade!

Anyway, here is my recipe for bodacious baked beans. Give it a try and see how you like it. I'm starting to enjoy learning this little thing called cooking.

A great way to get rid of some leftover Thanksgiving turkey


Bodacious Baked Beans

1 large can of baked beans
1 medium yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp molasses
Bacon
Smoked sausage or ham
Turkey breast (optional)

Dice the onion and garlic, set aside. Take bacon and cut into small pieces, covering the bottom of the skillet with plenty of the meat and fat. Dice sausage or ham into the skillet as well, adding enough to cover the bottom. If adding turkey breast, dice and use approximately the same amount as the sausage/ham. Turn heat on high and fry the meats. After bacon has sufficiently let off enough grease, add onions and garlic, cook until the onions are translucent. Add can of baked beans and two tablespoons of molasses. Stir, turn heat down to low and let the beans simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment