Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Adventures in Baby Food

Hello again, dear readers.

In all the excitement surrounding our new car, which we finally made legal and got new copper plates to show its status as an antique, I forgot to mention this little venture down the wormhole that is commercially-produced baby food.

A few days ago, while my husband was at work, I was home with the baby when it came time for us to eat dinner. I wasn't sure what to have, but the baby was getting hungry. So, I pulled out one of those mushy Plum Organics pouches that my mom sent to us in a recent care package. I wanted to get the gross ones out of the way first and with the apple broccoli one gone, the next to go was this blueberry, pear and purple carrot mush. I didn't know purple carrots even existed. Apparently, carrots come in more colors than the bright orange we're accustomed to seeing.

Deception at its most blatant


I sampled a bit before I let the baby try some and it was vile. It was purple alright, and it tasted like carrots. I hate carrots, unless they've been incorporated into a dish and have lost their orange carrot taste. Then they're ok. This, on the other hand, is a monstrosity; an obvious attempt to get kids to eat vegetables by hiding them with fruit purees. I tasted the blueberry, I could not taste the pear, and I definitely tasted carrots. The purple mush looked like blood.

As for the baby, she ate about half the pouch before deciding she had enough and proceeded to dump some of it onto her clothes because she found the pouch to be a fascinating toy! I finished off the pouch before she made a bigger mess. I was not gonna subject her to eating this nastiness when she gets perfectly good, home-cooked nutritious meals that actually taste like real food. No deception required.

Once again, I am reminded why I generally avoid the baby food aisle at the store like the plague. This really is a fucked up way to get your kids to eat vegetables.

Thank you for reading this post and please don't forget to share, comment, and subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment