Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Teriyaki Salmon

Good evening, dear readers.

My teriyaki salmon. It tastes better than it looks. The picture came out too dark so I had to use GIMP to enhance it some


While Lent is winding down in these last few weeks, it's still a Friday and that means no meat today. Fortunately, my husband bought some salmon because I am catfished-out. I had an irresistible craving for teriyaki in particular because I had a tupperware tub of leftover rice from a previous meal and needed to make something with it. Hence, salmon+rice=teriyaki salmon!

Though he normally makes the food, my husband had to work tonight and could not cook dinner. So, the job fell on me. I didn't mind doing this since I spent all afternoon cleaning the mountain of dishes in the sink and overflow onto the counter. I had a clean area to work in, and that was all that mattered.

I got the idea for tonight's dinner from this recipe but because I hate reading directions, I didn't follow it exactly as listed. For one, I brought out my marinade skills and in a break from my usual procedure, I marinated the salmon for about an hour before cooking it. I also modified the teriyaki sauce recipe and preparation, but I was quite pleased with the results. I hope my hubby finds them just as delicious as I did. Too bad we ate all the broccoli and asparagus. They would have gone great with the salmon.

Teriyaki Salmon

1 large can of pineapple bits (use whatever you have on hand, whether sliced, crushed, bits, etc)
3 cloves of garlic
1 chunk of ginger
1 lemon
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp molasses
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
4-5 salmon fillets

In a large nonreactive bowl, grate the cloves of garlic. Peel and grate the ginger. Add the can of pineapple (if not already crushed, mash the slices and pieces with a potato masher to extract all the juice), do not drain. Squeeze in the lemon and add orange juice. Stir to combine, then place the salmon fillets into the marinade. Make sure the fillets are completely submerged. Cover with plastic and set aside for one hour.

Marinade magic. Who needs plastic wrap when you can use shopping bags and rubber bands to achieve the same purpose


In a separate small bowl, add cornstarch with water and stir till combined. Add the soy sauce, molasses, and brown sugar next and stir to combine until the sugar is dissolved. Cover the teriyaki sauce and set aside until the salmon is finished marinating.

Homemade teriyaki sauce, ready to go


Using a large skillet over medium heat, sear the salmon fillets two or three at a time. Start by adding a little olive oil to grease the skillet and let the fillets sear two to three minutes on each side. Sear longer if the fillets are thicker. After a few minutes of searing, ladle in about two or three scoops of marinate and half the bowl of teriyaki sauce. Stir and let sauce simmer to thicken. Turn fillets to make sure each side gets a nice thick coating of sauce. After about five minutes, move the fillets and sauce to a plate and set aside. Repeat for any remaining fillets. Serve on a bed of rice and vegetables.

Using my trusty cast iron skillet to do the searing

All done!


Thank you for reading this post and please don't forget to share, comment, and subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment