Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Line for the Coconut

Happy Sunday, dear readers!

A few weeks back, I posted an entry about trying coconut oil as a conditioner. Today, I'm posting an update.

While it has been only a few weeks since I started using coconut oil in my hair, I'm pleased to report that I'm already seeing small but noticeable results. My hair is shinier and my ends are definitely less dry. There is also noticeably less breakage when I brush my hair, though it's not gone completely.

From the top. My roots have never looked better

Look at that shine!

It feels stronger too


As recommended by the article referenced in the original post, I try to grease up my hair and massage my scalp the day before I'm due to wash it. Unfortunately, being a parent means I don't always have the time or energy to do that. So as a compromise, I grease up and massage my hair and scalp earlier on in the day and then wash my hair out at night so that the oil has at least eight hours to do its work. I do tie my hair up in a knot on my head and go about my day's doings after I finish applying the coconut oil. When I wash it out later that night, my hair is noticeably easier to comb and smoother the next day when dry.

Of course it's gonna look greasy! It's oil!

Out of my face and baby's grasp


Like a proper scientist, I kept my controls the same: frequency of washings (twice a week), shampoo/conditioner brand (Pantene Pro-V Repair and Protect), amount of each used during wash (a handful). I was initially reluctant to try this experiment since I associated coconut oil with granolas who I despise for reasons of class and education. Based on what I've seen in this short timespan, I will concede to them the benefit of coconut oil as a hair conditioner.

As an aside, I've also been using coconut oil as a moisturizer for my face. I put on a small amount every night (unless I forget, which is has happened a few times) before I go to bed and wash it off in the morning when I wake up. I'm pleased to report that my skin is looking better for it. I was a little reluctant to try this routine because my skin is naturally oily (which is a big reason why I shied away from commercial moisturizers), but I decided to try the coconut oil for a month and see how my skin looked afterwards. Since it's only been a month, there's not much of a dramatic difference. But, I notice that my face is a bit less greasy by the end of the day and I haven't had any serious breakouts like I used to (just a couple of zits in a patch near my mouth which always seems to break out at least once a month).

Tl;dr, coconut oil is a keeper, even if its use is promoted by upper-class hippies.

PS-The title of this post was inspired by this song

No comments:

Post a Comment