Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Coonass Turkey 'Roids

Thanks be to St. Joseph, my husband has work tomorrow after almost three years of unsuccessfully searching for employment. With this revelation, prepping the turkey had to happen sooner than anticipated.

Unfortunately, the Tony Chachere injection mix was used up, so I decided to break out my marinate skills and make something else.

I found a recipe from a Louisiana website for different types of marinates. I selected the Cajun marinate, but made some modifications based on what we had available. I'll post my version below, which I'll call the Coonass Turkey 'Roids in honor of my husband's ancestral roots in southeast Louisiana, and the steroids used by bodybuilders to bulk up.

I tasted and adjusted the seasonings as desired


Coonass Turkey 'Roids

1 cup of lemon juice
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of crab boil concentrate
1/2 cup (1 stick) of melted butter
2 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
2 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 Tsp Trappey's Red Devil hot sauce
1 Tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce

Combine all ingredients in a fairly large bowl (like a deep cereal bowl), stir well. Make sure no lumps from the powdered seasonings remain.

To use, simply stick the needle of the syringe into the marinade and pull the plunger up to draw the liquid into the chamber. Stab loaded syringe into desired part of turkey and juice that bad boy up.

What the syringe wouldn't pick up, I poured on the turkey. Waste not, want not.


My hubby rigged up the smoker outside in the yard while I made the marinade, so the turkey right now is getting a good dose of pecan and hickory flavored smoke before being finished off in the oven. We're not letting last year's disaster happen if we can avoid it!

Tomorrow, we get to feast on our creation. I'm looking forward to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment