Stock Up and Save Everything for Baby at Walmart.com!
e.l.f. cosmetics

Saturday, November 28, 2015

How to Make a Box of Stuffing Edible

It's the weekend! I hope you all aren't sick of turkey yet.

When we got the turkey this past Tuesday, we also got a huge box of stuffing. I'd planned to make the stuffing on Thursday, but just did not have the time.

When it comes to turkey stuffing, I'm not crazy about it. I never understood why people would shove bread up a bird's ass when cooking it. Maybe the fact that my grandparents were immigrants spared me from some of the more peculiar aspects of American cooking, since I did not eat stuffing until I was in college and even then it was at a McCormick & Schmick's restaurant in Phoenix.

The way I see it, stuffing straight out of the box is a disgusting side dish. Cardboard and gut glue are the first two words that come to mind when I see stuffing made as-is without any additives. While stuffing can be made from scratch, it's too much work for what it's worth. Also, I would rather not throw away a donated item of food. Seeking to avoid those two nouns, here is my recipe for making an otherwise gross dish edible.

Bon apetit


Edible Stuffing Recipe

1 12 oz. box of stuffing mix
1 Medium yellow onion
3 Cloves of garlic
4 Stems of celery
1 Medium carrot
1 Apple
1 Roll of Jimmy Dean ground sausage, sage flavored
1 12 oz. can of chicken broth
1/2 jar (about 6 oz.) of gravy
Water as needed
Diced turkey breast (1 cup minimum, use more if desired)
Cornbread chunks (optional)

Dice the onion and garlic, chop the celery, and shred the carrot and apple first. Then, in a large skillet, begin browning the sausage. Add in the onion and garlic, then the celery. Add the carrot and apple last. Pour in the chicken broth, then add the stuffing mix. Throw in diced turkey and cornbread (if using), stir and let simmer for a bit. Stir until breadcrumbs in the stuffing mix absorb the broth, add water if needed. Remove from heat, add gravy, serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment